About David C. Bloomfield
David C. Bloomfield (J.D., Columbia; M.P.A., Princeton) is Professor of Education Leadership, Law & Policy at Brooklyn College and The CUNY Graduate Center.
The author of American Public Education Law and other publications, he received the first Paul Robeson Prize in Minority Legal Studies from Columbia Law School and holds certification as a school district superintendent and principal. Prof. Bloomfield is available for expert testimony in education-related proceedings, consulting, public speaking, and press commentary.
Bloomfield brings broad professional background to this work. His experience includes public, independent, and religious education; public and private law practice; school district administration; government agency and elected official staff positions; not-for-profit management; and higher education. He served as an elementary and middle school teacher; Law Clerk to Hon. Robert L. Carter (S.D.N.Y.); Associate in the Education Practice Group at Hogan Lovells in Washington, D.C.; Assistant New York City Corporation Counsel; General Counsel, New York City Board of Education; General Counsel and Senior Education Adviser to the Manhattan Borough President; and Executive Director for public education programs at the Partnership for New York City. His extensive volunteer activities include service on not-for-profit boards and as an elected parent member and President of New York's Citywide Council on High Schools.
- "Classroom Kaepernicks: Can Students and Teachers Take a Knee?" | CNN Opinion, October 12, 2017
- "Ask the Experts on Student Debt" | WalletHub, August 2, 2017
- "Education Laid Waste" | Kappan Online, May, 2017
- "DeVos’ Power To Do Nothing" | The Huffington Post, January 18, 2017
- "How to desegregate New York City’s schools. Now." | Chalkbeat, July 18, 2016
- "De Blasio’s education speech emphasizes procedure but lacks vision" | The Hechinger Report, September 17, 2015
- "The Myth of “Failing Schools” | Diane Ravitch's Blog, May 25, 2015
- "No school on Eid? A secular decision. Mayor de Blasio erred by making the addition of Muslim holidays a celebration of plurality" | New York Daily News Opinion, March 15, 2015
- "Come Clean on Small Schools" | Education Week, January 25, 2006
David C. Bloomfield is a frequent commentator in print, digital, and broadcast media. He has appeared in Education Week, New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Politico, New York Post, WPIX, Fox5NY, WNET, and others.
"No deal yet in Albany over mayoral control of schools" | Fox5 TV, June 21, 2017
"Free college tuition becomes law but Gov. Cuomo won’t discuss detail" | PIX11 TV, April 12, 2017
"Study finds poor neighborhoods linked to lower graduation rates, but why?" | PIX11 TV, May 12, 2016
"Education Under a Trump Presidency: Q & A with David Bloomfield" | CUNY Graduate Center, November 29, 2016
"Online Credit-Recovery Market Faces Scrutiny, and Providers Will Have to Adjust" | EdWeek Market Brief, June 16, 2016
- "Equity & Excellence for All: The Mayor's School Agenda" | CUNY-TV, September 30, 2015
Consulting & Expert Testimony
Professor Bloomfield consults for public and private agencies, schools, attorneys, and public officials. He also serves as an expert witness in a variety of school law and education-related proceedings.
He specializes in:
- Federal, state, and local legislation & regulatory matters
- Community outreach and policy adoption strategies
- Public and private school management
- Policy & political analysis
- Instructional leadership
- Teacher, principal, superintendent, and school board duty of care and professional standards
- Student & professsional discipline, tenure, child custody, harassment, additional matters
- Other areas of education policy, administration, and teaching